Friday, February 1, 2013

Lunch Lady Brownies

Just made this tonight, didn't add the frosting because I didn't want to have the additional sweets on top of it. I'm sure it will be amazing, I will try them tomorrow and let you know the verdict! :)

Lunch Lady Brownies:

Ingredients: 
1 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
1 cup nuts (optional)

Melt butter, add cocoa powder. Mix together until smooth.  Add flour and sugar.  Beat together, than add eggs, vanilla, and nuts.  Mix until combined, do not over-stir.  Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

(I cut the recipe in half, we didn't need a huge pan of brownies sitting around the house.  Not with a diabetic... Not so much.)

For the frosting: 
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
Dash of Salt

*Side note: If you are like me, softened butter means to melt it completely. This is ok, just make sure to combine the butter and cocoa powder first. Than put 1 cup of powdered sugar in the mixer (you don't want to mix this by hand), mix it VERY well, and than add a tiny bit of milk to thin it out (1/3 of the 1/4 cup).  Keep doing this with the sugar and the milk, don't just dump it all in the mixer.  It will make a lumpy mess if you do. And if you want to, you can add an 1/4th of a teaspoon of vanilla to the chocolate frosting. I just love what the flavor does.

Wait about 10 minutes before you frost them, after you take them out of the oven.  Use as much frosting as you would like. :)

Thanks Saltbox House for this amazing recipe!



                                 Don't they look incredible? I am thinking tomorrow can't come fast enough! :)

2 comments:

  1. You are Welcome! We are glad you enjoy them! We now have a Gluten Free Version posted as well.
    http://saltboxhouse.blogspot.com/2013/02/gluten-free-lunch-lady-brownies.html

    ReplyDelete